Frequently Asked Workers’ Compensation Questions

Q: What do I do if I’m injured while working?


  • Notify your employer
  • Seek medical treatment
  • Document any witnesses

Q: Does somebody else have to be at fault to have a New Hampshire Worker’s Compensation claim?

A: No, worker’s compensation is a no-fault system. If you were injured on the job, regardless of fault, you may be entitled to compensation as a result of your work injury.

Q: What benefits am I typically entitled to after a work injury?


  • Lost wages, typically known as indemnity benefits, if you are unable to work or are forced to work reduced hours.
  • Medical benefits, including mileage to and from medical appointments.
  • Permanent impairment award, if you have a permanent injury as result of your work injury.
  • Vocational rehabilitation services if you need assistance returning to work.

You may also receive additional benefits outside the Worker’s Compensation system. You may be able to bring a third-party claim if another party was responsible for your injuries. For example, if you are involved in an auto accident, you may be able to gain compensation from the other driver. Compensation would include pain and suffering which is not available through the New Hampshire Worker’s Compensation system.

Q: How much does it cost to hire worker’s compensation lawyer?

A: WC cases are typically done on the contingency fee basis. This means that your attorney is only paid based on a percentage of whatever they are able to get for you. In New Hampshire, attorneys are entitled to 20% of any permanent impairment award or lump sum settlement of your worker’s compensation claim.

Q: Do I get pain and suffering for my Workers’ Compensation injury?

A: In New Hampshire, you are not entitled to pain and suffering as a result of a work injury. You are only entitled to receive pain and suffering if you are able to pursue a third-party claim.